My Shopping List
Brussels Sprouts w/ Apples & Toasted Walnuts
Courtesy of B.C. Tree Fruits Limited
Serve With:Servings: 6
Pork cutlets, baked potatoes and apple crisp
Prep Time: 8 Min.
Cook Time: 7 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 lb. (4 c.) Brussels sprouts
+ 2 apples, peeled, seeded and sliced into thin slices
+ 1/2 c. walnuts
+ 2 Tbsp. butter
+ salt and pepper to taste
+ 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (or to taste)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Roughly chop walnuts and place on baking tray. Toast in oven for 5 to 8 minutes until nuts are golden. Be sure to watch nuts carefully as they can quickly become over toasted. Set nuts aside.
2. Peel, seed and slice apples. Toss in apple juice to prevent discoloration. Set aside.
3. Trim bottoms of sprouts and peel off the outer leaves. Place sprouts in a pot of boiling water. Cook until sprouts are bright green and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and run sprouts under cold water to stop cooking process. Drain and slice sprouts in half.
4. In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, melt 2 Tbsp. of butter. Toss sprouts, apples and walnuts in butter. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Do not over cook or the apples will become very soft. Place in serving bowl and serve immediately.
* This recipe makes a delicious side dish to any meal. The flavor of the walnuts is greatly enhanced by toasting them in the oven. The crunch from the nuts and the apples pairs well with the softer texture of the Brussels sprouts.
For more great fruit recipes, visit www.bctree.com
Calories: 164; Total Fat: 10g; Total Carbs: 17g; Protein: 6g;